I have so much to post about our experience at the National Tween Summit at the Capitol Hilton in D.C.. Can’t write a full post just yet, but here’s the key points:
– My girls had a fabulous time at their first conference.
– The girls and I were sponsored by EAPLAY. It’s not bad when you are 11 and 13 to be sponsored by a huge entertainment company for your first conference!
– The swag was to die for. We staggered back to Farragut North Metro — literally. Each girl had 4 huge bags and 1 box. Both are still sorting through the loot!
– There were two tracks for the conference: the tween track and the parent track.
– The tween track included discussions on body image, sports, careers, bullying, and speaking up for yourself.
– The parent track focused on nutrition, health and fitness, bullying, and gynecological issues.
– The National Tween Summit was for tween girls between 9 and 14. The age range is wider than the range of tween/preteen — 9 t0 12 — over at TypeAMom. There were some 8-year-olds there as well.
– While my girls were talking about self-esteem and standing up for themselves, I was interviewing: Dr._Jennifer_Ashton, gynecologist and CBS News Medical Correspondent; two dynamic women who run a foundation against bullying; Laura_Warshauer, talented singer/songwriter (click on her name to hear her songs — you won’t be sorry); and a teen who founded with seven other friends an organization devoted to helping one person at a time — 1>0.
– The National Tween Summit culminated with a rock concert complete with red carpet and photo op area.
– The concert featured: Wow, Jacob Latimore, Brooke White, and Comic Book Heroes.
– My girls took advantage of my press credentials to go to the press area on the red carpet.
It was an awesome day! More posts to follow.
1 comment for “National Tween Summit”