It’s that time of year again. Time to party with 5 Minutes for Mom. 5 Minutes for Mom is hosting the Ultimate Blog Party. I’m happy to participate.
I’m no stranger to the 5 Minutes for Mom Ultimate Blog Party. I participated in 2009, and agaiin in 2010. I’m not sure why I didn’t participate. in 2011 oe 2012. Too busy? Missed the email? Who knows? But I was determined to join in the Ultimate Blog Party fun. It’s a new year.
So what should I write about? If you are a regular reader, you’ll know a bit about me. But, if you are visiting my blog for the first time, I need to get you up to speed…Pronto! So here goes…
- I’m a transplant from the United Kingdom. I was born and spent part of my childhood in England…Manchester to be precise.
- Twice my dad’s job took us to parts afar. In my early elementary school years, we moved back and forth between Manchester and Edison, New Jersey. Later as a teen, my dad moved to Italy for four years. We didn’t join him in Milan but did spend many, many vacations in northern Italy, Austria, Switzerland, and even parts of southern Italy with him.
- In fact, I worry that my children will think their childhood quite dull after hearing stories of my nomadic childhood. BUT my children have the benefit that they are living in the home that they were born in. Stability is a huge deal for me.
- A career in publishing was going well, both in an office and at home as a work-at-home mom. All was well until publishing changed…fewer freelance editors and proofreaders were needed. Manuscripts from authors once edited on paper were exclusively submitted on disk by the early 2000s. I was let a bit rudderless once my freelance editorial work dried up.
- After working flat out as a work-at-home mom of two children, I had to take a break. I was exhausted. In 2001, I began a much-needed haitus as a stay-at-home mom to my two girls, and their baby brother. I did all the “stuff” I had wanted to do but never had time to do when I was working…I joined a moms’ group…I was a regular at a couple of playgroups…my son and I attended storytimes at the library…I volunteered in my daughters’ classrooms. I loved my time at home!
- But, as my son neared kindergarten-age I knew I needed to find a job. To gain much-needed skills, I enrolled in a graduate program in 2007…a program specializing in graphic design and writing. I wanted to reinvent myself as a graphic designer, but my computer skills lagged behind my graphic design skills. So…
- …I took a break from classes, to gather my thoughts. While I hemmed and hawed about the next step, I updated my blog.
- Six months later I was blogging more or less daily. I wrote for several sites…still do. I reviewed products. I hosted giveaways.
- My watershed moment was fall 2009 when I attended TypeAParent Conference (then called TypeAMom). All of the blogging and social media work I had done sicne falling in to blogging began to make sense. I met fellow bloggers. I found my community or tribe. It was an awesome way to truly find my feet.
- And so here I am, 5 years or so later still blogging, still guest posting, still doing social media for clients. And I couldn’t be happier!
I hope you stop by Musings from Me again!