My mother wanted me to write an e-mail to my dad’s e-mail account explaining blogging and product promotion to her. My dad will print off the e-mail for my mother to read since she does know computers nor have an e-mail account. My mother will then rewrite my e-mail in a handwritten letter which she will mail with a stamp to my old English teacher in England. My mother might just be the last person in the U.S. who sends a handwritten letter. Do you know of anyone else??
I started a blog in January of 2008 while I was in a graduate graphic design program. A blog is a website. My blog is www.musingsfromme.com: Musings from Me on Kids, Preteens, and Teens. I write about raising a kid, a preteen, and a teen. I write about parenting topics, list fun places to visit in the DC Metro area, and money saving offers.
In addition to writing about my family, I promote products. I’m a mommy blogger. Companies want to connect with Moms as Moms make decisions about purchasing products, services, and travel. There are many women who read blogs (or websites) or search for products online rather than shopping at a store. I use my blog to get the word out about products.
I write reviews of products on my blog. I have reviewed: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, Disney on Ice, Gap Outlet, General Mills cereal, school supplies, Kenny Loggins CD, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles DVDs, Libby’s Jumbo Fruit Cups, Yoplait Yogurt, and many others. I connect with companies through their public relations agencies. A PR agency will sent me the product to review/tickets to a show/a CD to listen to, etc. Once I have reviewed the product, I do the following:
– I write a post about my experiences with the product good or bad.
– I post my review on sites like amazon.com, walmart.com.
– I post my review on Facebook (I have about 350 friends and business colleagues)
– I post my review to twitter (I have about 3000 followers)
In addition, to writing on my blog and product promotion, I write for two websites:
– TypeAMom — http://www.typeamom.net/mom-stages/preteens.html — I’m the Preteen Editor and have written close to 100 articles on parenting topics.
– DCMetroMoms — http://www.dcmetromoms.com/jill/ — I write about parenting a kid, a preteen, and a teen in the DC Metro Area.
I was invited to Minneapolis by General Mills company because I had reviewed many General Mills products.