At the beginning of January, I saw an ad for Mom Advocates needed to promote a new social network for tweens/teens. I responded ASAP. With a kid, a preteen, and a teen, we have gone through many sites and networks over the years.
The first foray in to computers? Games like Reader Rabbit Toddler and JumpStart Toddler. Both were purchased at Costco for my then-18-month-old. It was a year or two before she could use a computer mouse by herself. But when she got going there was nothing stopping her. I recall watching my daughter and her friend play on the computer with two “mouses” at a friend’s house. My daughter was frustrated that her mouse didn’t do anything when she pressed it. My friend revealed that the mouse was not attached — my kid said her son never noticed. Nothing got by my kid!
The days of Jumpstart, PBS Kids, Nickjr.com, Webkinz, and Club Penguin are long gone for my teen. I realized that there was really nothing out there for her except for Facebook and MySpace. In January, I wasn’t ready for her to log in to Facebook. Nearly a year later I’m still not ready. Enter Yoursphere.com.
Yoursphere.com is the social network for kids and teens that puts safety first and provides a positive and age appropriate alternative to Facebook, Myspace, and other sites created by adults for adults. Yoursphere was founded by a mom of 5 who was concerned about her children’s safety on the internet. Yoursphere is a social network for kids and teens, which unlike other sites offers:
· Identity verification, predator check, and requires verifiable parental consent
· Limits participation to kids and teens through age 18. (Kids can be members until they turn 19.)
· All content is created by kids and teens for kids and teens. No worries about adult content.
· There are no ads on Yoursphere. The membership fee — a dime a day – is used to support Yoursphere’s safety measures and to provide activities, prizes, and rewards for each and every member.
· Offers scholarships and supports youth-selected philanthropies: 3% of each membership fee is pooled into a scholarship program.
Yoursphere wants to offer Mom and Dad Bloggers a free 1-year Yoursphere.com membership for their children – any age through age 18. Yoursphere would like Mom and Dad Bloggers to:
write a review post on their blog about their child’s experiences with a link back to Yoursphere.com by December 11.
offer a free 1-year membership to a reader of their blog.
include their child’s review of the community if at all possible.
Mention that Yoursphere would make a cost-effective last minute Christmas/ holiday gift.
Teens such as those from RadicalParenting (parenting from the kids perspective), who reviewed Yoursphere: The Best Virtual World For Your Kids believe your kids and your readers will love a Yoursphere membership because:
· kids and teens enjoy at Yoursphere: privacy, building friendships, creating and uploading content, joining groups or creating their own, writing stories, uploading pictures, entering contests, showcasing their creativity, earning rewards…even scholarships, plus members get to support the causes they care about! In addition, the credits members earn just for participating on the site can be redeemed for rewards like a shopping spree, ipod, movie tickets, iphone, their favorite DVD’s, games like Guitar Hero and more!
· Yoursphere is a totally different story than any other social network site our teens have reviewed. As soon as you log on, whether you are a parent or kid you will see that this site has amazing graphics, videos and safety–an essential combination for kids online. We loved it because it takes the best activities, videos and games and puts them in one place where you do not have to worry about spam, creepsters or uncool entertainment. Awesome.
Are you a mom/dad blogger? If you are interested in receiving a free membership for your child and blogging about it, as well as a membership code for one of your readers, please contact me at JillAnneBerry@msn.com for details about the blog opportunity.