Senior Year or “Upper Sixth” in English Speak
1. Did you date someone from your school? No
2. Did you marry someone from your high school? No
3. Did you car pool to school? No–I walked to the train station from my home, took a train in to the center of Manchester, from there I walked to a bus stop and took a bus to near my school, and walked to my school. 1 hour and 15 minutes each way — my version of “walked barefoot to school”
4. What kind of car did you have? I did not drive until college. My parents had a Volvo and a Ford Escort. I took driving lessons, but could not the handle a manual transmission. I was petrified about taking my driving test on the open road of my town with a manual transmission. No closed circuit test!
5. What kind of car do you have now? Toyota Sienna minivan
6. It’s Friday night…where are you?(then) Home unless a friend was having a birthday party.
7. It is Friday night…where are you? (now) Friday is our only night without activities…long may it last. But, I might need to take a kid to a birthday party or a middle school dance here and there.
8. What kind of job did you have in high school? None
9. What kind of job do you do now? Wife, mother, and writer/blogger.
10. Were you a party animal? No
11. Were you considered a flirt? No — I went from an all girls school at 16 to a coed school for my last two years. I talked to a few boys in my classes.
12. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? No — I was in drama club through 10th, the Legion of Mary through 10th, and woodworking club for my last two years of high school. My school offered very few extracurriculars.
13. Were you a nerd? No
14. Did you get suspended or expelled? No
15. Can you sing the fight song? No fight song. The school song was a hymn translated from Latin. The school motto was “Work, Pray, Rejoice.”
16. Who was/were your favorite teacher? English teacher — who took us to Stratford twice. Sociology teacher who did not teach us much, but was very entertaining.
17. Where did you sit during lunch? In cafeteria with a small group of friends.
18. What was your school’s full name? Hollies F.C.J. High School (through 10th grade) Loreto Sixth Form College (11th and 12th grade)
19. When did you graduate? 1983
20. What was your school mascot? No mascot … maybe a nun!?!?
21. If you could go back and do it again, would you? Yes, I would drop Physics and keep Geography.
22. Did you have fun at Prom? No prom. We had a dinner dance at the Post Office Workers Social Club during the day. Yes, it was as unglamorous as you might imagine. We did dress up, but few went as couples.
23. Do you still talk to the person you went to Prom with? Went solo.
24. Are you planning on going to your next reunion? Yes, but my high school does not organize reunions.
25. Do you still talk to people from school? I talk to one through FB and e-mail. I recently found two others who I did not know that well. Still searching for others. Andrea Birtles and Alison Funnell, where are you?
I thought this was very informative! I always wondered about English people : ). Now I feel like I know a little bit more : ).