I’m often on the prowl for something yummy to eat. I like to nibble. And gnaw. And gum. And chew on tasty morsels. Not all the time. But when I get a craving for something, I need it nwo. I usually eat savory and salty snacks, but not always. Lately I have had a hankering for sweet treats. BUT, I’m on a quest to eat better, workout, and get more sleep. A candy just isn’t a healthy option. More’s the pity, but alas I have the metabolism where the candy bar becomes part of my DNA in zero seconds flat.
So…I need to do the sensible, prudent, grownup, and healthy option and find tasty but health-conscious snacks. And this my friends, is a very hard task. I live in a rural area. My nearest grocery story is 15 minutes away but it is not a Trader Joe’s or a Whole Foods. Those stores are a solid 40-minute drive from where I live. Though I have heard great things about both, the money spent in gas to do a weekly grocery shop and the cost of the groceries would be out of my budget. Just call it a #rurallivingproblem!
So I shop locally at my neighborhood grocery store for a reasonable, but not extensive selection of offerings. Or from time to time I drive to the next town over with a larger supermarket. Or when I am feeling very bold and adventurous I pack up the kids and husband in the minivan and we truck on over to Target. Target is about 40 minutes away, but the plus about Target is my teens can shop for clothes and toiletries, my youngest can shop for toys and video games, and my husband and I can look for snacks, food, household or home improvement project items. Target is our one stop shop for pretty much everything, but the kitchen sink, and including the ever-desired SNACKS!
I was recently sent a pack of Nature Valley products to try. I’m not all that familiar with Nature Valley, but wanted to give the snacks a try. My family are notoriously picky eaters, but they can be tempted as long as I am stealthy. Here’s how I introduce a new food.
Operation: Get a Bunch of Picky Eaters To Try a New Food
- Casually place the food item in a prominent spot in the kitchen. I place the Nature Valley boxes on the kitchen table.
- Wait for the school bus to drop kids off and vacate the kitchen. Animals…humans…are more likely to forage if undisturbed.
- Observe and listen…from a safe distance…as kids pick up, examine, tear open, and then devour said Nature Valley snacks.
- When the dust has settled…uh the kids have finished tearing in to boxes…saunter in to kitchen to ask them how they liked the snack.
- Clean up crumbs spewed out of kids’ mouths as they try to eat and answer your questions at the same time. Messy!
The Musings from Me Family tried the following Nature Valley snacks:
- Nature Valley Protein Granola Bars
- Nature Valley Breakfast Biscuits–You get sustained energy from +26g of whole grains. These bars are the perfect trifecta: convenient, great tasting, and fully satisfying.
- Nature Valley Greek Yogurt Protein Bars–Come in Strawberry or Mixed Berry flavors and have 10g of protein alongside real fruit and nuts.
The Musings from Me kids and me..Musings from Me LOVED all the bars. Dad Knows Better is not much of a snack bar eater. More for the rest of us! The all-new Nature Valley Protein Granola is the perfect way to start your day in a bowl of milk, sprinkled on yogurt or as a quick snack!
Disclosure: The information and prize pack have been provided by General Mills through Platefull Co-Op.