There’s a problem with having a house full of readers. You want to know what it is? You can never again have a box, package, or envelope delivered to your house without a child reading the name of the sender or the logo of the product itself written on the box.
Call me an idiot for ordering a large gift for my kids for Christmas that arrived in an enormous box with the name of the item written on the side in huge letters. Doh! And for having the misfortune to drive up the driveway with the three kids in the car and park exactly next to the box. Double doh! Three voices yelled out. “Look, we’ve got Beatles RockBand!” Triple doh! Well, now. There wasn’t much I could say to that.
Recently, I let slip that I would be sent a copy of Skylanders Spyro’s Adventures. My son had heard me talk about this game around last year’s Toy Fair. I was given one of the Skylanders figures, which I gave to him. I knew the gig was up — completely — when my son got the mail, sized up the box…shook it a little, realized what was in the package, and wanted to play right away. He’d done his homework and we were staying home that night. So, how could I say no?
I’m not a video game person. I play Ms. Pacman once a year and occasionally I dabble in a wii game with the family. But, every once in a while I like to sit in the family room and watch the kids play a game. It’s like I am playing with them, sitting on their shoulder, having a birds’ eye view of the game.
- A description from the game’s site says that: “For generations, the Skylanders have used their magical powers and weapons to protect Skylands. But now an evil tyrant has frozen and banished them to Earth. Only you can put them on the Portal of Power(TM) and bring them back to life in their world to save Skylands forever.”
- Skylanders is a game where special action figures come to life on the TV screen.
- You place the Skylanders figures on the Portal of Power.
- Once the Skylanders figure is on the Portal of Power, he is brought to life in the video game.
What Makes Skylanders Different from Other Games Out There?
- Skylanders action figures remember their in-game experiences and upgrades.
- As soon as the Skylanders action figure enters the game, your child can explore this “mysterious world,” battle “menacing creatures,” and collect treasures as they go.
- Kids can explore Skylands in their home OR in a friend’s home. If your child goes to a friend’s house and the friend has Skylanders — doesn’t matter what gaming system — he can use his Skylanders action figure by placing it on the Portal of Power and continuing where he left off in his game at home.
Want To Learn More about Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure?
- Like Skylanders Game on Facebook.
- Buy the Skylanders soundtrack on iTunes.
- Learn more about the game on the Skylanders site.
- Want to have your kids try out the game before buying? Play Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure online.
- You can buy the video game through the Skylander site’s shopping portal.
What’s New in Skylanders?
- On my pilgrimage to New York each February, it has become a habit to stop by the massive Skylanders booth. The New York Toy Fair is very literally a toy shop for adults. I walk from booth to booth drinking in all the exhibits. I can’t wait to share about new toys, games, gadgets, and gizmos!
- Part toy and part game, Skylanders is getting ready to launch something new.
- Skylanders will release Skylanders Giants in fall 2012.
- Watch the trailer here.
I was sent the Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure game to facilitate my review. The views expressed in this post are my own. I follow the tenets of Blog With Integrity.