Hi! My name is Musings from Me. I am envious of iPhone users.
Hi! Musings from Me!
I said it. I admit it. I had iPhone envy. If I was a little kid, I would probably hang on to the arm of the iPhone user. Jump up and down shouting “Can I try your iPhone? Pleeeeaaasssseeeee!” But, I am not a little kid, so all I can do is look enviously at iPhones and Sigh!
The iPhone is simply too expensive for our budget. As a one-income family supplemented by the money I make writing, buying an iPhone is not a sensible option. Plus, if you know us, you know that we are Verizon people. Land line since 1990 when we got married. Cell phone since 1995 — the “only use if you are going in to labor” phone. FIOS since 2009. We now have 1 landline and 4 cell phone lines…all Verizon.
I was contacted by Verizon to test a Verizon Palm Pre Plus phone. If you follow me on twitter, you know that I and quite a few other uses have tweeted our likes and dislikes about the Verizon Palm Pre Plus phone using the hashtag — #VerizonPalmPrePlus.
As the campaign wraps up, here are my likes and dislikes about the #VerizonPalmPrePlus:
- The phone is compact.
- Fits easily in pants pockets…even dress pants. The iPhone is so much bigger.
- Since the phone has a shiny exterior I can find it in my jumbled wicker basket of phone cords and camera rechargers.
- With my old multimedia phone, I dabbled with an online calendar. It was frustrating since the interface was tricky. With the Verizon Palm Pre Plus, I searched for the Cozi.com calendar and hey presto! I found all my dates and schedules that I had entered in to the Cozi calendar on my home PC. I now enter all appointments, deadlines, kids’ activities directly in to my phone. Cozi sends a copy of the calendar to my husband plus our tween and teen. I may miss an appointment here and there, but the Palm Pre Plus and Cozi keep me connected and on schedule!
- I had a few missteps using the screen. You scroll up with your finger and scroll down. It took me more than a couple of tries, but I got the hang of it.
- The main screen of the phone has five icons at the bottom. Phone. Contacts. Calendar. e-mail. Arrow. The arrow if clicked goes to the icon screen. On the icon screen you can find the Camera, Device Info, Help, and an App library. The phone is user-friendly once you get the hang of moving your finger across the screen.
- Twitter and Facebook are loaded under the web icon. So is my Cozi calendar.
- I have several e-mail addresses. I pulled all three in to the Verizon Contact list. I can send and receive e-mail from all three addresses.
- I linked my Facebook account, too. I’m not sure that this was necessary since I NEVER phone any of my Facebook friends. Our interactions are online. But, I can e-mail them if their Facebook page includes an e-mail address.
- The Verizon Palm Pre Plus keeps me connected to work friends, home friends, and family.
- I live in a semirural, partly residential, formerly farming community. I have the best of both worlds. I look out my kitchen window at rolling fields and galloping horses, but I am close-ish to a mall and Walmart. BUT, our cellphone signal is spotty. I’m #notatechie, but I would guess that we don’t have enough cellphone towers. Many of the farms in my neighborhood are in historic preservation. Perhaps, you can’t have a cellphone tower when the land is preserved. All I know is that our signal is patchy in parts of our house. The road I use to go north to one town and south to another town is a dead zone. I wait until I hit the cross highway to make a call. Still love the Verizon Palm Pre Plus phone…just wish that cell phone reception in my immediate area was better.
- I had a problem with the Contact List. When I started using the Verizon Palm Pre Plus, I gave my old phone with my old phone number to my teen. She was thrilled to inherit my Samsung Rogue. At some point, I changed our cell phone number data in the Contact list…which resulted in my Contact page being linked to my daughters. It was confusing, but I unlinked us. Have I mentioned that I am #notatechie??
- There are some iphone apps that are not available yet for noniphones. My daughter and son found a bunch of free apps…Balloon Pop.
I was given the Verizon Palm Pre Plus phone and one-month’s service as part of my review.
Thanks so much for the props to Cozi! Sounds like the Palm Pre phone is working out great for you. That view from your kitchen sounds pretty fantastic too.
Carol at Cozi.com
I’ve had the Samsung Rogue since Jan 7th, it worked great until about 2 months ago. my phone won’t receive texts messages until about 20-30 minutes after the other person sent them. almost all of the occasion i will get multiple messages at once, when i do receive them. any time i send a image message occasionally it will certainly send just fine and other occasions it may take a few mins, hours, or a day to get to the other person. i have heard of others having troubles with their phone randomly shutting off, mine does that too. my first samsung rogue got so awful i had to get a replacement unit, that was practically 2 weeks ago. I am still having the same difficulties with my new one! I am so frustrated, i just wish to get a new type of phone. i payed retail for the rogue and am so mad that it switched out to be a crappy phone :/ just my rant…