Cheese. Cheddar. Gouda. Smoked Cheddar. Creamy Swiss. Mission Jack. And even Jalapeno and Cheddar. To me, cheese is a major food group. I can eat cheese morning, noon, night, and even late in to the night. Cheese hits the spot. It’s satisfying, filling, and can be a meal by itself.
As a child in England, cheese was a major part of fancy restaurant meals. As the saying goes, a good meal goes from “soup to nuts.” The multi-course fancy restaurant meal would begin with soup or an appetizer, followed by the meat course, and a dessert. But, the meal wouldn’t end here. After dessert, waitstaff would bring around a cheese tray. The tray would feature English cheeses…Cheddar, Wensleydale, Leicestershire, Cricketer cheeses, an assortment of biscuits (in the U.S. biscuits are the same as crackers), pickles, pickled onions, lettuce, and tomato. The English cheese tray could be a meal in itself!
I knew we were joining my parents for Thanksgiving Dinner, so I brought the Summer Sausage & Cheese Gift Box to share. As soon as I arrived, I found a wooden cutting board. As my mother put the finishing touches to the meal, I cut up the Summer Sausage. I couldn’t help myself from sampling a slice or three. In fact, my son had a few slices as well. Luckily, the Gift Box came with two rolls of Summer Sausage.
Once I had cut up the sausage, I sliced the Farmhouse Cheddar. As a cheese lover, I am pleased to report that the Farmhouse Cheddar was delicious. Just the right amount of creamy to sharp, but not too sharp. The Gouda even though it was smoked and I tend to prefer cheeses that are not smoked, was good too. I wasn’t as fond of the Smoked Cheddar Cheese, probably because Cheddar is my all-time favorite cheese.
All-in-all our family of 5 plus two grandparents, devoured most of the Gift Box. I left a roll of Summer Sausage and part of one of Smoked Gouda in my parent’s fridge.Perfect beginning or end to a meal. Good for snacking too!
Want to learn more about Hickory Farms?
- Like Hickory Farms on Facebook.
- Follow Hickory Farms on Twitter.
- Shop for gifts on the Hickory Farms site. You’ll be amazed at the variety of gifts.
- And finally, Hickory Farms is offering 3-day shipping for $3 (see infographic above for all the details).
In 2011, Hickory Farms is partnering with Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry:
- Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry is a national nonprofit that is working to end childhood hunger in America.
- Go to the Hickory Farms Facebook page and take the Pledge to Help End Childhood Hunger.
- This holiday season Hickory Farms will donate $5 from each Party Planner gift box sold to Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry Campaign.
- Hickory Farms provides free shipping on select products to APO/FPO military addresses across the globe, allowing loved ones overseas to share in holiday traditions.
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Hickory Farms and received a product sample to facilitate my review.